- Mark Rainer
- Vancouver, BC
- Contract Rate - $220 USD/hour
- Specializing in Ruby on Rails and
Jquery development with a desire to take a small startup and help
grow it, both in terms of the software and business side. With over 10
years experience in IT from large enterprise projects to small start
ups I have assembled a wide variety of skills. In the enterprise
environments I have done business requirements documentation,
development, managing small teams of developers, as well as working
in the client services area. The highlight of my start-up experience
is founding a company called http://www.usedeverywhere.com which is a
successful classified ads site similar to craigslist.org. Most recently I've been involved in FinTech projects and producing MicroServices to help facilitate transactions.
- Work History
- Mogo Financial - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Jan 2014 - Present - Senior Software Engineer - Team Lead - Credit Cards
- Helped develop the foundation of the new Mogo platform using Ruby Micro Services. Technologies used on this project; Ruby, RabbitMQ, Mysql, RDS, Docker and CoreOS. Facilitate demos, meetings and peer review code. Interacting with many third party providers in order to process bank and credit card transactions.
- Revenue Services Group - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Oct 2010 - Present - Technical Architect
- Developed the technical side of
SredClaimPro.com with one other developer. SredClaimPro is an online
Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credit tool.
This software product bypasses the need for knowing complicated CRA
(Canada Revenue Agency) tax laws, rules and calculations and
generates a finished a form ready to be submitted to the CRA (Canada
- Efreeme.com - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Mar 2010 - Present - Owner Operator
- Newer Version: Redesigned and rebuilt the entire stack using Ruby on Rails with many performance features; SphinxDB, Redis-Server and complicated modelling
- Older Version: Developed and maintained all the code, database, servers and the entire stack from bottom to
modproxy) and Ubuntu to build the entire website. Managed the business and helped guide the marketing direction.
- PlentyOfTweeps.com - Vancouver, BC, Canada - Sep 2009 - Feb 2010 - Owner Operator
- A Ruby on Rails project, worked on the Twitter API as well as integration with Google Maps when searching for a postal code. Used SVN and switched to Github later for source control and Capistrano for automated deployment. Using test driven development we quickly built the most successful Twitter Dating site today and were even mentioned by founders of Twitter.
- Sutton Realty - Vancouver BC, Canada - Apr 2009 - Sep 2009 - Business Analyst / Database Administrator
- Using Microsofts .NET, MSSQL, Crystal Reports and and Microsoft source control we built a enterprise application for the Realtors and Conveyancers to be able to enter in contractual information, and store it. My role in this project was business analyst to help define the scope and come up with technical solutions. Worked on a team of 4 people, with daily scrum type meetings and performed demo's of work completed at the end of the week. I took this contract to learn the Microsoft .NET, Crystal Reports, and MSSQL technologies.
- UsedEverywhere.com - Vancouver BC, Canada - Jun 2005 - Feb 2007 - Owner / Application Architect
- From a seed of $12,000 in startup funds I grew this company to $300,000 in revenue/year with 5 sales people and 2 moderators. Using Zope, Postgresql, Apache, some interesting marketing tactics and a shrewd eye for directing the company I was able to make inroads in one of the most competitive market spaces on the Internet. My duties included: data modeling, database administration, server administration, UI design, programming and managing sales teams.
- Canfor / Genus Resource Management Technologies - Vancouver BC, Canada - Feb 2001 - Jun 2005 - Business Analyst
- Using Powerbuilder, Oracle, Erwin, .NET and some Python we developed software applications to keep track of inventory of logs and forests. Genus then expanded out to Environmental Management Systems and water quality control type software. I was in charge of the "Stumpage" modules which was a complicated set of mathematical calculations to determine the amount that needed to be paid to the government for harvesting the trees off crown land. My duties were to ensure an accurate stumpage fees and to allow companies to run "What if" scenarios. Canfor and Weyerhaeuser were two of the largest clients that GenusRMT supported. Towards the end of my tenure at Genus I was being moved to "Client Services" to help new clients come on board and integrate the Genus RMT product with their businesses.
- Online Business Systems - Prince George BC, Canada - Jul 1999 - Apr 2000 - Business Analyst
- A consultant for Online Business Systems using Powerbuilder and Oracle we developed forestry software for a company called Northwood which later became Canfor. I was sent to Prince George from Winnipeg and in charge of development for a system called "Logs Production". Working with management, other developers and end users we quickly developed a system for keeping track of each log that Northwood had harvested.
- EDS - Winnipeg MB, Canada - Jul 1998 - Jun 1999 - Programmer/Analyst
- Working at a client site called "NISA" which was a Federal government program to provide income subsidy to farmers in low income years. Used Powerbuilder, Sybase, Unix, PVCS and a strict set of system methodologies to develop a financial application to keep track of payments made to farmers.
- Red River College
- Winnipeg, MB, Canada
- Mar 1997 - Jun 1998
- Computer Analyst Programmer Course
- Graduated with Honors